The title of this post doesn't refer to a nappy that's been used! I am referring to modern cloth nappies that smell after washing!
A great tip to give your cloth nappies a thorough clean is to give them a 'strip wash' or a 'double wash'. This is really simple to do and can help in removing smells, assist in better absorption (if there is a detergent build up) and can help prevent nappy rash.
This is what to do:
1. Run clean (not soiled) nappies through a full hot wash without detergent.
2. Then run a second wash with a very small amount of non-moisturising dish washing liquid.
3. Rinse and line dry.
If you can do your double wash on a windy day it's even better as it gives your nappies a good airing out. If you don't have access to a line, air dry indoors if possible and finish off in the tumble dryer.
Some preventative methods for avoiding smelly modern cloth nappies:
- Ensure you are washing you nappies regularly enough (every second day as a guide)
- Rinse each nappy before placing in nappy bucket
- Make sure you are doing a pre-rinse and final rinse when you wash your nappies in the machine
- If you live in a hard water area you may need to use a little more detergent if your nappies still smell after a double wash.
Thanks for visiting,